New Palmilla Beach Golf Experience Will Be a One-of-a-Kind Nationally and Major Tourist Draw to Port Aransas & Mustang Island
McCombs Properties, developer of Palmilla Beach Resort & Golf Community on Mustang Island, today announced extensive improvements to the resort’s golf amenity to expand its appeal to golfers of all ages and skill levels, as well as to non-golfers and families.
“Last August, Hurricane Harvey took a heavy toll on the golf course, effectively destroying the greens and irrigation systems,” said McCombs Properties Harry Adams. “As with other community assets damaged by the storm, we chose not to settle for merely rebuilding what existed before the storm, but to improve the community and our guest experience by building something better, more appropriate for the tourism based market, and more exciting!”
Over the past nine months, the Palmilla development team has collaborated with land planners, architects and the national leadership of Troon Golf on how best to restore and improve the golf offering at Palmilla. Among the many factors they considered were the multi-year decline in rounds of play nationwide, how to appeal to a new generation of golfers and emerging trends in golf entertainment. Their mission was to redesign the golf offering to make it a more sustainable amenity with wider appeal, more activities and added value for Palmilla homeowners and guests.
The final course design will appeal not only to avid golfers, but also to new, novice and non-golfers. It will include 30 holes and retain the original driving range. For the golf purist, there will be a nine-hole course encompassing the best of the original Palmilla course. All the beauty of the rolling dunes and the uniqueness of the links-style course will be preserved, and new greens, tee boxes and cart paths will be incorporated to improve and perfect the new nine-hole course.
At the edge of the Palmilla Beach Golf Club, between the community and highway, an area of land will be redeveloped into “The PlayGround at Palmilla Beach.” This golf entertainment venue will include 21 holes of golf, an events lawn, and a food and beverage component. Based on consumer research, the Palmilla team expects this new amenity to be a huge draw for tourists and guests, adding tremendous value for owners and renters.
The PlayGround at Palmilla Beach will include:
- Putting Course. This 18-hole course of authentic, all-grass putting play – with perfected grass greens, bunkers, dunes, music, and access to food and beverage – will appeal to avid golfers, families and children.
- Short Course. This course includes three short holes and is designed for relaxed, easy play – perhaps as a warm-up for the nine holes of links-style play – and will only be played with a wedge or a putter.
- Events Lawn. This flexible zone for entertainment programming will serve as a venue for concerts, games or competitions – all with access to music, food and beverage – planned and programmed by Palmilla’s Troon golf staff.
- Food and Beverage Venue. This hospitality feature, located on the lakeshore and at the center of The PlayGround at Palmilla Beach, will be a fun, relaxed, open-air environment in which to enjoy great music, food and libations.
- Games. The PlayGround at Palmilla Beach’s design incorporates a playground for children, themed attractions and a multitude of family-oriented games.
Construction of both the new nine-hole course, at Palmilla Beach Golf Club, and The PlayGround at Palmilla Beach began in early July, with expected openings in early spring 2019 and fall 2019, respectively.
Located in the heart of Texas’ true beach town, historic Port Aransas, Texas, the upscale Palmilla Beach Resort offers unparalleled amenities, world-class golf, sport fishing, nature activities, and relaxation on the private-access beach or by the resort-style pool. A pedestrian-friendly community, Palmilla features some of the most spectacular beach views along the Gulf Coast and numerous water-front amenities. The links-style golf course meanders through sweeping untamed dunes, offering stunning views of the Gulf of Mexico and Corpus Christi Bay.
“We always strive to deliver the very best experience, and continually improve value and amenities in the communities we develop,” said Adams. “The new Palmilla golf experience will be one-of-a-kind nationally, and will create an even greater draw, not only to our community, but also to Port Aransas and all of Mustang Island.”